Secure and maintain a stable, responsive, optimized and properly utilized truck/intermodal capacity solution for assigned production facilities and distribution points. These solutions achieve the lowest possible logistical cost to serve and respect the needs of our business units and their customers. This position creates and continuously improves an environment where our carrier supply base views International Paper as a partner of choice. This position has full responsibility for truck/intermodal transportation which includes sourcing, sourcing operations, carrier performance, and cost management. By utilizing the Global Sourcing Strategic Procurement process to facilitate all sourcing events, this position ensures that International Paper has competitive market pricing and superior service. Daily interactions occur with carriers, transportation specialists, business unit management, internal support resources, and facilities.
- Understanding complexity of business units in assigned area.
- Analyze facility shipments to ensure sufficient capacity is maintained for the facility and modify using service/cost analysis to meet the facility’s shipping patterns.
- Negotiate and contract the best overall value proposition (price / service / capacity), for transportation services, while following the Global Sourcing Strategic Sourcing process.
- Seek out cost reduction opportunities through negotiations, enhanced cost controls, operational optimization, cost avoidance, and the pursuit of total cost of ownership savings.
- Maintain Strategic Carrier partnership relationships,
- Monitor and manage carrier activity to ensure consistency with carrier’s contractual commitments and take corrective action to resolve discrepancies.
- Develop relationships with minority suppliers to meet annual minority business spend objective.
- Maintain Carrier profile, contract documentation and rate systems.