What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
Health and Safety Manager
The Health and Safety Manager is responsible for managing day-to-day and long term safety and health activities for all mill operations, as well as ensuring the mill is aligned with corporate initiatives and priorities. This position manages the Mill Safety Process, Worker’s Compensation, Fire Systems/ERT, Security and the Health Services area. This position is responsible for evaluating the facility’s working conditions, including inspection of equipment and machinery to maximize employee safety and ensure compliance with government regulations. Furthermore, the Health and Safety Manager interfaces directly with department leaders to ensure everyone understands company and regulatory compliance mandates.
The Health & Safety Manager is responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining effective systems, procedures and training to achieve and sustain an accident-free work environment.
The Health & Safety Manager integrates continuous improvement in the health and safety systems and must drive employee engagement to achieve desired results. This role provides functional strategic direction for accomplishing our vision of an accident-free workplace, while positively impacting profitability and operational excellence. The Health & Safety Manager reports to the Environmental Health & Safety Manager (EHS Manager).
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience managing industrial health & safety programs in a manufacturing environment.
- A Bachelor’s degree in occupational health and safety (or related field), or equivalent experience. An appropriate professional certification is a plus.
- Demonstrated track record of success in working in a team environment with a focus on results, and an ability to solve problems; Union experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of OSHA and other related regulations.
- Organized and detailed oriented.
- Basic meeting, facilitation, and listening skills, along with an established ability to manage change and conflict are required. Qualified candidates should have good interpersonal skills and have a developed competency to influence others. Good oral and written communication skills are required.
- Manage and coordinate visits from local, state and federal agencies (OSHA, DOT, Fire Marshal etc).
- Ensure safe work practices comply with local, state and company standards and are fully in place and enthusiastically supported.
- Manage safety initiative process and tracking systems, including leading indicator tracking program, top 5 hazard identification and remediation, critical health and safety gap closure, critical safety inspection process.
- Work with third party contractor to manage mill’s security program.
- Maintain and sustain annual budget.
- Work with mill and local care facilities to manage health care examinations, assessments, incident follow up and treatment activities.
- Liason with local health care facilities to partner with the mill for treatment services.
- Manage hourly departmental Safety Advocates.
- Manage mill’s Fire Chief and Emergency Response program.
- Actively promote a culture of engagement and respect.
- Collaborate with Lead Team members and area leaders to improve the work place through development of improved procedures and following up on incidents.
- Regularly spend time in the manufacturing areas.
- Maintain positive and open relationship with hourly team members to understand concerns and work together on solutions.
- Demonstrate positive leadership for direct reports.
- Develop direct reports.
- Provide leadership and support to the mill’s safety and environmental leadership and area improvement teams.
- Provide leadership in developing, implementing, and managing safety policies, procedures, and practices.
- Safety leader for annual outages.
- Integrity and Trust
- Ethics and Values
- Directing others
- Customer Focus
- Action Oriented
- Timely Decision Maker
- Drive for Results
- Time Management
- Self Development
- Problem Solving
- Priority Setting
- Peer Relations
- Learning on the Fly
- Managerial Courage
- Technical/Functional Skills
- Interpersonal Savvy
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.