What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
International Paper operates a recycling business which collects, sorts, and processes waste paper and other recyclables across North America. The business contributes to the U.S. paper recycling environmental success story (where recovery now exceeds 60%) and contributes to International Paper’s manufacturing success.
This position has overall responsibility for leading the domestic and export sales strategy of the Recycling business. The position will work closely with the commercial team, customer service team, operations/plant team, brokerage team, and strategic accounts team to maximize the collaboration, alignment, and communication across all of these business channels. This person will lead and execute the sale strategy to maximize the value of the Recycling business and enhance our customer experience.
This position will report to the Commercial Director and be a key member of the Recycling Commercial Lead Team. The Sales Manager position will be located at the Memphis Corporate Office, TN USA. The total number of direct reports is seven.
- Primary responsibility is Safety, People, and Engagement
- Engage colleagues to ensure they maintain safe work environments and behave safely
- Ensure that all persons meet our LIFE safety objectives and remain injury free
- Lead and execute the sales team’s people excellence strategy and engagement plans
- Responsible for executing the sales team’s go to market strategy
- Drive financial performance of the recycling business by maximizing the value and volume of recovered fiber, plastics, metals, and other recyclable materials sold by International Paper
- Execute International Paper Recycling’s commercial excellence strategy to win new business with new and existing customers
- Evaluate recycling industry markets to provide accurate and timely forecasts of recovered material trends
- Lead and execute customer and industry quality specification initiatives for all three IPR business channels
- Review and execute sales contracts
- Develop productive and long term relationships with customers
- Lead and execute the expansion of the recycling business’s multi-material recovery and sales strategy
- Manage seven sales representatives whose primary role is to ensure a great customer experience by maximizing the volume and value of the recovered materials generated by the plants, brokerage, and strategic accounts channels
- Effectively communicate sales plans, performance goals/metrics, and expectations to sales team
- Support the business mission and vision by modeling desired behaviors, communicating and reinforcing key messages through daily activities and interactions
- Responsible for leading and directing the development, training, and performance of sales team
The external environment, including technology, competition, markets:
- Helping to position the business to respond to the significant impact of cyclical shifts in recovered material markets
- Assist in the evaluation of the Global Recovered Material Markets
The internal environment, including the interaction with others (both inside and outside the business), policies, and practices:
- Lead and maintain significant improvement in employee engagement
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to segment customers to maximize value
- Improve International Paper Recycling’s position within the market place
- Evaluate and streamline sales processes and skills to maximize team’s ability to be win new business with new and existing customers
- Evaluate business strategies to execute a multi-material recycling recovery and sales plan
- Collaborate with all key stakeholders and their teams to foster diversity and inclusion
- Work closely with our customer service team to execute opportunities to be more effective through team work
- ~$400MM in Sales Revenue
- 7 Direct Reports
Knowledge and Skills
The Sales Manager must:
- Demonstrate the ability to lead, engage, and develop a highly diverse workforce in commercial roles spread across the U.S. and China
- Engage direct reports and keep them focused on safety, people, and engagement
- Be a leader with high integrity and trust
- Demonstrate strong business acumen and extremely strong commercial savvy
- Be able to effectively segment/target/position/ and create customer value management, pricing strategies, contract negotiations, and supply chain value.
- Be a leader that is action oriented and has a strong drive for results to win
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Be able to work within a team atmosphere and effectively coach for results
- Bachelor Degree is required
- 5+ years of commercial leadership experience
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Master’s degree is preferred
- 5+ years of sales leadership and management experience in the recycling industry
- Knowledge and experience in the recycling industry, including recycling plant operations, brokerage, supply chain, and mill manufacturing
This position requires a leader who focuses on customers and enhances our ability to become a market driven organization that achieves results by maximizing the pricing and volume strategies of the business. The Sales Manager must focus on accomplishing work through others and developing an effective sales team that wins new business with existing and new customers.
The Sales Manager must have the ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 60% of the time.
Relocation is available for this position.
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.