What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
We currently have an opening for a Laboratory Supervisor within our Value Added Services (VAS) group within CTA. The position is based at our Memphis Customer Commitment Center and supervises personnel and operations within the Memphis testing laboratory.
Our laboratory team serves as the technical/quality subject matter expert to internal and external customers providing the necessary technical services needed to accommodate value added technical requests that support product development, design, sales and quality. This technical assistance is provided for the Container the Americas’ business product development, design and quality staff as well as the plant level manufacturing, sales, and design departments.
• Supervise all laboratory personnel
• Interview all candidates for laboratory openings and make recommendations on candidate(s) to be hired.
• Involved in all activities surrounding hiring, firing, promotions, training, disciplinary action and salary increases.
• Administers all personnel policies for laboratory employees.
• Responsible for maintenance and calibration of all laboratory equipment.
• Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the laboratory operational equipment (heating and cooling, conditioning equipment, etc.)
• Keeping abreast of the latest developments in testing equipment
• Responsible for presenting an annual budget recommendation to the VAS manager. Upon approval, responsible for managing the laboratory expenses in order to stay in budget.
• Responsible for recommending capital items for laboratory maintenance and needed upgrades. Prepare the capital request forms for corporate consideration. Ensure approved capital items are obtained,
properly and promptly installed.
Technical Assistance Requirements
• Act as subject matter expert for hazardous materials regulations
• Act as subject matter expert for truck and rail regulations
• Maintain laboratory certifications (ISTA, National Motor Freight)
• Provide technical assistance to field quality/process personnel in areas of testing protocols involving corrugated.
• Act as key technical specialist for distribution testing requests. Conduct / coordinate all necessary testing and processing reports required for qualifying ISTA packaging.
• Ensure proper and accurate testing for all test requests by processing requests from receipt and preparation of samples through testing, data interpretation and reporting. Familiarization with applicable International Paper, TAPPI and ASTM standards.
• Keep abreast of standard operating procedures and test methods by active involvement in industry technical associations. Active in development of new test protocols and processes.
• Assist with packaging recommendations and product development evaluations by discussing details of test results and packaging/product performance with managers and other design, sales and product development personnel.
• Ensure efficient operation of laboratory environment and equipment by maintaining condition of current equipment through routine reviews, calibration, preventative maintenance, and repair. Assist with evaluation, development and set up of new equipment and test procedures.
• Assist with technical training of key testing procedures and test equipment to employees and customers.
Education Level Required – High School Diploma or equivalent required; BS degree in science field preferred; degree in paper technology, packaging technology, forestry and forest products or equivalent highly preferred.
Experience Required – Five (5) years experience in paper or corrugated testing with some supervisory experience.
Knowledge Required – Thorough knowledge of corrugated and paper testing procedures; familiarity with papermaking and corrugating technology and processes; a good rapport with and understanding of people.
International Paper offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, disability, life and accident insurance, vacation as well as a 401(k) plan and retirement savings account. Qualified candidates should express interest by applying online at http://www.internationalpaper.com.
International Paper is a Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans