What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
WEST REGION FIBER QUALITY SPECIALIST
The Fiber Quality (FQ) Specialist is responsible for the overall effectiveness of the regions fiber quality program, and actions to influence virgin fiber utilization and quality to deliver least cost solutions for chip supply to the headbox, and least cost fiber fuel to the power boilers. Position scope includes all IP region mills, wood chip suppliers, and fiber fuel suppliers.
Position serves as fiber quality and wood processing resource for basin procurement teams to develop/direct FQ studies, participate in JT meetings/projects, provide scheduled FQ/wood processing reports, one-off analysis/reports and manages/provides Fiber Cost Model results. Position proactively engages IP Woodyard/Pulp operations personnel, and wood chip suppliers on equipment/processing system problems and opportunities to extract optimum fiber value.
The role supports and directs Fiber Quality Lab personnel in conjunction with local Fiber Supply/Mill personnel to ensure established fiber sampling and testing procedures are utilized, sample collection/testing equipment is properly calibrated, cleaned, maintained/repaired, proper manual/electronic data records are maintained, and provide training/coaching for FQ Lab operators as needed.
Individual manages monthly Division, and Basin FQ reporting, BOE automated Chip Quality reports, and engages Division Fiber Quality Manager for technical expertise, to maintain regional alignment and provide information as requested. The role also engages woodyard equipment vendors and IP Technology Subject Matter Experts to support FQ related work and projects.
Individual will develop expert knowledge about the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of all Fiber Quality Lab equipment, and chip manufacturing/screening/re-processing equipment. In addition, individual will develop expert knowledge of wood properties in relation to the various manufacturing equipment used to produce/screen/re-process chips.
Bachelors Degree in Engineering / Forestry related curriculum, or at least 5 years commensurate experience.
Additional desirable qualifications: advanced degree in Wood Science / Fiber Quality, and Lean/Six-Sigma training and application.
REQUIRED SKILL SET – ESSENTIALS:
- Commitment to work safely above all else
- Driven, action oriented and self-motivated
- Ability to establish/manage value driven priorities
- Excellent written/oral communications skills – effective with diverse internal/external customer base
- Strong analytical skills and ability to present data/results, and develop/present FQ related training
- Proven project development and management abilities
- Tested influence management abilities with internal/external customers; adaptability based on needs of targeted individuals
- Relentless perseverance and ability to adapt approach based on resistance
- Demonstrated appetite and ability to rapidly learn/apply new knowledge/information
- Proven mechanical aptitude – ability to understand how equipment/processes work, troubleshoot/correct problems and devise/recommend equipment/process improvement solutions
- Knowledge of Fiber Supply operations and fiber quality leverage points
- Proven facilitation and team formation/leadership abilities
- Familiar with chip sampling, chip classification metrics and fiber testing equipment
- Position reports to Manager, Supply Chain Efficiency
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.