What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
International Paper’s Eastover, SC paper mill has an opening for Environmental Engineer. The position reports to the mill Environmental Engineering Manager. The Eastover mill is located 30 minutes from Columbia and produces approximately 2,300 tons per day of bleached pulp and paper, employs approximately 616 team members and 90+ continuous presence contractors, and operates 24/7 with high performance work systems. We are looking for a dependable individual with excellent technical skills and desire to manage a full plate of regulatory commitments. They will need problem-solving, communication and teamwork skills to fill this challenging position. International Paper offers a great work environment, competitive salary, competitive performance bonus, and excellent benefits including health care, life insurance, disability income, holidays, vacation, 401k and retiree savings.
This role provides technical execution, leadership, coordination and expertise in the area of environmental compliance and performance. This position will have accountability for managing compliance programs, tracking and implementing new requirements, reviewing changes and obtaining air permits, and assuring compliance with federal, state, local, and company environmental requirements.
Responsibilities may include:
- Participate actively in mill safety processes and continuously demonstrate commitment to safety compliance and performance.
- Providing OnCall (phone, email, pager) 24 hour per day support to the mill in 7 day increments.
- Manage professional consultants, testing firms, engineering design, mechanical/ electrical contractors.
- Effectively communicate (verbal and written) complex issues with many levels of employee.
- Work cooperatively with many teammates (operations, maintenance, engineering, corp.) for results.
- Highly proficient with computerized tools, especially Excel, PI and Plant Applications.
- Represent the company to members of the public via formal and informal meetings.
- Prepare and effectively present information to varying audiences, including millwide team meetings, up to audiences of 100.
- Complete assigned projects safely and successfully.
- Manage environmental specification and fuel certification programs.
- Develop and utilize expertise with process and control equipment and monitoring systems associated with program areas.
- Develop general knowledge of all mill processes and detailed knowledge of air sources/pollution control equipment.
- Participate in regulatory development process (especially state) to influence new regulations.
- Pursue regulatory flexibility to save resources.
- Develop and implement capital projects
- Use data-driven methods and tools (6 Sigma and others) to solve environmental issues
- Demonstrate high level of personal accountability and meticulous recordkeeping.
- Effectively manage large number of discrete deliverables with firm regulatory deadlines
- Prepare detailed emission inventories using defined monitoring, recordkeeping and reporting systems.
- Manage the mill CEMS program (5 opacity, 4 TRS, and two NOx)
- Manage the mill source testing program
- Directly manage (potentially) support technicians.
- Prepare, with aid of consultants, air construction permit applications.
- Proactively work with state regulators to obtain needed permits
- Familiarity with state and federal environmental regulations and the regulatory development process.
- Implement new requirements through documented environmental management system
- Serve as member of the mill Process Safety Management team and Risk Management Plan (112r) program manager
- Prepare quarterly air compliance reports.
- Prepare SARA313 toxic release inventory
- Manage Hazardous Chemical media (SARA311/312, Richland County hazardous materials, TSCA)
- Manage mill Title VI Refrigerant Management Plan
- Oversee compliance management of MACT Subpart S, MM, and DDDDD programs.
- Develop and implement effective training for program areas
- Implement and manage compliance with International Paper Performance Standards.
- Auditing and being audited to continuously improve systems,
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science or other environmental field. Extensive relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of formal education.
- Four years experience with environmental compliance (industry, consulting, or governmental)
- Proficient in the functional/technical skills needed to ensure compliance with applicable environmental regulations.
- Capability to manage large quantities of data, review data for accuracy and completeness, and generate compliance reports as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to get results through constructively influencing others and successfully interacting with a wide variety of people.
- Execute, manage and coordinate multiple programs and deadlines.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office software, especially Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental, civil, or chemical engineering from ABET-accredited school.
- 8+ years experience with environmental compliance (industry, consulting, or governmental)
- EIT or PE registration
- Experience in pulp and paper facility
- Experience as process or project engineer
- Six-sigma belt certification
- Experience using process improvement methodologies and/or change management processes.
Decision Quality, Informing, Technical Learning, Written Communications, Customer Focus, Drive for Results, Managing through Systems, Conflict Management, Listening, Negotiating, Action Oriented, Perseverance, Standing Alone, Planning, Priority Setting, Time Management, Ethics and Values, Integrity and Trust.
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.
Eastover SC 29044