The converting Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) regional coordinator position will report to the Area EHS manager - converting. The position will support International Paper’s performance goals by supporting EHS programs for converting operations. This position will provide on-site support to effectively implement EHS processes and programs as defined by the North America converting EHS Manager and Container the Americas (CTA) Director of Manufacturing. The position will also align with CTA regional management to ensure that business needs are aligned with EHS program implementation.
This individual will need to be able to learn and adjust quickly, be action oriented, be responsive to facility needs and be able to work independently. The individual will also work directly with area EHS/Business leads.
In addition to the highest ethical standards, this person must also embody IP’s commitment to four key accountabilities:
- Elimination of LIFE incidents, and pursuing an accident free workplace; regardless of where we operate.
- Demanding 100 percent compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Raising performance standards by advancing the ideals of sustainability.
- Developing site EHS coordinators with appropriate competencies and skill sets needed to effectively lead EHS programs at the facility.
In each Area, this position will implement EHS programs aligned with the LIFE program, the North American converting EHS work plan and company policies, as well as state and federal regulations.
EHS & WC Excellence – Implement measures to advance environmental and safety performance; achieve gains and reduce costs and liabilities for environmental and safety incidents; reduce workers’ compensation cost and claim volume.
Work directly with converting regional and plant management to ensure execution of EHS programs and practices in operating plants. The incumbent will assist in developing the skills of assigned EHS coordinators in operating plants to ensure completion and execution of regulatory requirements.
Knowledge and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have 2 - 5 years experience in the forest products industry or an industry with a similar risk profile and bring to this position a type of creativity and “can do” attitude that will make the overall organization successful. The candidate will need a practical understanding of governance and regulation including both law and policies, and the ability to work with the lead hourly (both union and non-union) employees and exempt and non-exempt staff.
This position builds on IP’s reputation for excellence, innovation and leadership in EHS management. The position will be recognized and rewarded for delivering solutions that sustain and improve current levels of EHS performance in a more effective and efficient manner.
The position will provide support for 10 - 15 locations typically within a 100-150 mile radius of where the position is located. In some situations the plants will be outside of this circle and require air travel.
• Bachelors degree in occupational health and safety or, science, engineering.
• Masters degree in Occupational Health or Environmental related discipline.
• Strong written & verbal communication skills; presentation and training delivery skills.
• Ability to travel significant portion of time (>75%)
• Ability to be flexible and open to move, based on Regional needs/openings
• Capable of independent work
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.