What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
The Mill Communications Manager at International Paper’s Eastover, S.C. Mill will support the mill’s leadership, employees, community and other key stakeholders. This position will also provide limited support to the P&CP Sumter converting facility located in the area. The position is located at the mill and will require minimum travel. The job will consist of leading, developing and implementing a communications strategy for the mill that enables the deliberate and continuous focus on key manufacturing and business objectives, including the cost reduction effort, hinged on establishing effective and sustainable communications systems.
- The position reports directly to the Senior Manager, Communications, P&CP with a dotted line to the Eastover Mill Manager, and to the Manager, Communications, Global Mfg., on specific manufacturing initiatives.
- Lead initiatives/projects that require a higher level of communications expertise and have a high value for the mill (A3 planning, deliberate/continuous improvement, leadership/engagement communications, feedback systems, etc.)
- Work with leadership inside and outside of the mill to develop creative solutions around work that requires lower levels of communications expertise and is of lower value for the mill.
- Participate on mill lead team and be a communications adviser/coach to lead team members, area managers and first-line leaders
- Lead strategic communications planning and day-to-day, ongoing communications needs
- Manage crisis communications and ensure crisis communications plans exist and key people are trained on crisis communications processes and protocols
- Develop and manage an active media relations strategy (build relationship with media, seek media opportunities, write news releases, respond to media inquiries with key messages)
- Develop a community relations strategy to manage community goodwill, identify key risks and manage implementation of community initiatives to support mill goals (CAC, IP Giving, Strategic Partnerships/Affiliations)
- Provide communications/media training, as needed, and manage mill’s participation/interaction with company communications tools (IPToday, Hot News, IPMedia Network, DBS Broadcasts)
- Partner with government relations on selected business issues/initiatives
- Providing support to numerous improvement initiatives underway.
- Maintaining high employee engagement levels with waves of employee retirements underway
- Revamping and developing reliable and consistent communications systems in a team based work environment.
- Creating communications credibility and influence.
- Advancing communications methods beyond past approach.
- Responsible for internal and external mill communications with more than 600 employees.
- Manage an internal and external mill communications budget.
- Bachelor’s degree, minimum six years of experience
- Possess entry-level competencies outlined in Communications Career Ladder
- Demonstrate employee communications and community relations experience
- Demonstrate media relations experience
- Demonstrate successful interpersonal, political savvy and organizational agility skills
- Demonstrate ability to establish communications systems
- Manufacturing environment experience preferred
• Leadership Institute - Individual Contributor
• Communications Planning and Media Training
• Change Management Training
• Diversity and Inclusion Training
• Conducting Communication Assessments and Research
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.