International Paper (NYSE: IP) is a leading global supplier of renewable fiber-based products. We produce corrugated packaging products that protect and promote goods, and enable worldwide commerce, and pulp for diapers, tissue and other personal care products that promote health and wellness. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., we employ approximately 38,000 colleagues globally. We serve customers worldwide, with manufacturing operations in North America, Latin America, North Africa and Europe. Net sales for 2021 were $19.4 billion. In Russia, we have a 50/50 joint venture, Ilim Group, the country's largest integrated manufacturer of pulp and paper. Additional information can be found by visiting InternationalPaper.com.
Position/Role Title: Business Analytics Manager
Reporting and Operations Support: Work in a team environment to manage data and reporting needs for Containerboard to include the following: Provide systems support, lead large projects (>$1MM cost/benefit) to redesign the existing data architecture and reporting structure including the Supply Chain Operating Reporting Enablement (SCORE), Exception Management Assistant (EMA), Business Intelligence and Analytics (BI&A) projects. Provide training and support for all new systems, processes, and tools created to business end users. Lead additional projects to enhance this platform. Sustain current state and deploy remaining waves of SCORE to drive new business insights to optimize profits for the business. Sustain the Supply Chain Operating Model (SCOM) for the business including leading all business efforts related to SAP annual upgrades as well as monthly technical upgrades. Participate as a subject matter expert (SME) in corporate BI&A strategy development and lead implementation efforts within the business. Provide operations support by providing data, reports, and analyses that drive our year over year cost improvements of $25MM to $30MM.
Safety Stock: Work both individually and in a team environment to use, maintain, and upgrade, as needed, the Containerboard Safety Stock Model. Maintain the monthly process and provide support to the business by training on the model, troubleshooting issues, and providing recommendations on how to improve both the process and the tool.
Optimization: Work both individually and in a team environment to maintain and support the various optimization models currently in use including, Containerboard Sourcing Optimization Model, Mode Balancing Optimization model, and Trim Optimization model as well as other analytical tools used to evaluate both tactical and strategic opportunities within Containerboard in support of IPG and Containerboard financial objectives. Work closely with the Business to evaluate and implement all potential opportunities. Collaborate with the Business and COE to identify, develop, and implement design changes for these models. Work with the business to identify additional opportunities for the use of these tools and lead the efforts to design, develop, and implement them.
- Systems Support
- Develop relationships with key supply chain stakeholders – IT, COE, CTE, Finance
- Work with business on requirements to support SCOM upgrades - OM, P&S, Deliver and Cost
- Refine requirements to support technical feasibility and SCOM scope
- Build systems to support business and SCOM objectives and requirements
- Support systems and data feeds on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, as needed, to include both internal data feeds, (R/3, ECC, APO, BW), as well as external feeds, ex. IntelliTrans.
- Participate as a SME in identifying and resolving data problems. Ensure root causes are identified and corrected in a timely manner.
- Reporting and Operations Support
- Develop relationships with key data providers, both internal and external
- Maintain the Containerboard Supply Chain Operational Reporting Enablement (SCORE) environment – drive requirements for all remaining waves, develop and lead training sessions, develop documentation, build sustainable processes.
- Support the Exception Management Assistant (EMA) tool by being a data SME, stewarding change and enhancement requests, data break/fix analysis, & resolutions.
- Work with business, COE and IT organizations to enhance business and system processes for reporting.
- Operate as the ‘go to’ person for sourcing data for analysis from SCOM data stores, legacy data warehouses, transaction systems and supplemental databases.
- Support year over year cost improvement initiatives by identifying and leading projects as well as supporting other projects in this area by providing data, reports, and detailed analysis.
- Participate as a Subject Matter Expert in identifying and resolving reporting problems. Ensure root causes are identified and corrected in a timely manner.
- Work to implement best practices in data reporting management
- Develop, document, and implement data reporting business processes
- Provide ad-hoc / automated reporting capabilities for the business utilizing advanced scripting techniques with R and Python.
- Identify any ad-hoc reports developed as PoC by others and lead the development of sustainable solutions for these reports
- Ensure systems and reports are properly backed up, archived, and have disaster recovery plans as needed
- Work with Finance, Logistics, Technical Services, and Manufacturing to ensure model data inputs are always current and that the models are ready to use.
- Work with Business and COE to identify design changes to enhance the functionality and reporting capabilities of our models. Manage the implementation of these design changes in a way that results in no impact to the Business.
- Utilize the optimization models and other analytical tools to evaluate scenarios that are both tactical and strategic in nature and provide results and recommendations in a timely manner to the Business for review. An example of a tactical analysis would be where to take lack-of-order (LOO) downtime, whereas an example of a strategic analysis would be a major capital investment at a mill that changes the mill’s production capabilities.
- Lead the review process for any analysis completed.
- Complete ad hoc supply chain analyses for the Business.
The external environment, including technology, competition, markets:
- Balancing the need to optimize business processes for systems and reporting against the daily demand to manage the current business conditions
- Rapidly changing technology including data storage, access, visualization, and transformation tools
The internal environment, including interaction with others, (both inside and outside the company) policies/practices:
- Understanding the scope of data available within the IP landscape for reporting and analysis.
- Competing responsibilities with frequent shifts in resource availability and business priorities
- Meeting tactical business needs without compromising strategic directives
- Collaborating across business functions
- Coordinating resources across many functional areas within COE, ITSS, CB IT and Business organizations
- Covering the breadth of initiatives impacting Business Information Users across functional organizations
The work itself, e.g., problems, opportunities, change:
- The scope of both technical and business knowledge
- Extensive expertise in multiple data access and reporting tools for the various environments (i.e., SAP R/3, BW, HANA, Excel, Access, R, Python, AO, Webi, etc.)
- Accomplishing tasks through virtual organizations rather than direct reports
- Managing competing priorities and being able to deliver results that meet the customer’s time constraints.
- Staying current with technology trends and data tools
- Supply chain data for the paper industry is complex
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Supply Chain Operating Model Expertise
- Minimum 5 years work experience with International Paper business processes and systems
Knowledge of IP’s current and future data architectures as well as database management (BW, SQL, Oracle, Access, SQL Server)
- Knowledge of SAP Business Objects (Web Intelligence, AO)
- Skilled at scripting (VBScript, Python, R)
- Proficient within SAP (R/3, ECC, APO, BW)
- Broad business background
- Statistical Analysis
- Linear/mixed integer programming (optimization modeling)
- Advanced Microsoft Tools knowledge (Excel, Access, .Net, SharePoint)
- ME4SC Yellow belt or better
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Business Acumen
- Building Effective Teams
- Customer Focus
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Problem Solving
- Managerial Courage
- Learning on the Fly
- Written & Verbal Communications
This role will at times require work outside normal business hours to address break/fix issues and to support periodic upgrades to our various operating systems. This includes weekends, holidays, and potentially vacation time given there is no back up for this role.
For immediate consideration, please click the link below to apply:
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Memphis TN 38197