What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
This position supports International Paper’s Cellulose Fibers business in Columbus, Mississippi. As one of the largest softwood pulp producers in the world, this location produces 1,400+ ADMT/day of bleached softwood pulp for use in paper and specialty products such as absorbent personal care products, pharmaceuticals, and photographic-based papers. International Paper’s cellulose fiber manufacturing facilities are located across the United States and Canada.
Our Columbus Cellulose Fibers location in Columbus, Mississippi has an immediate opening for a Reliability Engineer. A Reliability Engineer’s responsibility is to improve overall mill performance by increasing equipment uptime and the life of our assets, and eliminating unscheduled downtime and reducing end of life failures between outages. At the Columbus Mill, reliability engineering combines traditional maintenance engineering with process engineering for a holistic approach to address downtime liabilities on a production system. Reliability Engineers focus on making sustainable improvements to critical manufacturing systems. The Reliability Engineer reports directly to the Mill Reliability Leader with a strong working relationship with the Area Maintenance Manager, Area Maintenance Front Line Leaders, Technicians, and Business Unit Manager, and is a member of the Mill’s Maintenance and Engineering team. The position level for Reliability Engineer can range between 9 and 13, commensurate with experience.
The Reliability Engineer’s main responsibility is to take the lead in maintaining and improving the reliability of our process equipment. A successful reliability engineer will be able to interact with all areas/parts of the organization. They must work hand-in-hand with maintenance and operations while being able to communicate effectively with suppliers, sales engineers, and other technology support SMEs. They will partner with operating and maintenance leaders to support the MWS process in the area. In crisis situations they must be able to provide good technical direction, pull together a corrective action plan quickly, and roll up their sleeves to lend a hand when needed.
The Mechanical Reliability Engineer will ensure the reliability of our manufacturing operations by working to:
- Support the implementation and continuous improvement of the GMS Reliability Elements. Be the Mill wide owner of designated reliability element(s).
- Improve maintenance work efficiency by applying Precision Maintenance Techniques.
- Support the Mechanical Area Maintenance Front Line Leaders and Planners during the planning and execution phases of PMOs and annual outages.
- Develop solutions to chronic repetitive failures by analyzing data. Be the owner of the area chronic reliability list and lead efforts to provide priority resolutions to these issues.
- Support and provide expertise for repair jobs and capital projects.
- Owns maintenance strategy. Reliability Engineers are responsible for defining, developing, administering, and refining the equipment care programs.
- Predictive Maintenance: develop routes, ensure communication between core team and technician.
- Preventative Maintenance: support development of mechanical PM’s for each area; develop routes and manage the program and communication with the core teams.
- Support Core teams: help resolve technical issues or repair procedures as required; work closely with maintenance FLL’s as needed; MWS Team participation.
- RCFA Facilitation; champion use of RCFA for the area. Does not lead all RCFA, but ensures engagement of workforce, proper root causes identified, and action items are completed.
- Coordinate priorities with operations
- MWS Work participation; participate in prioritizing Area work orders, ensure Indirect Work Order/Mgmt. of Change identified as requires; ensure proper preventative maintenance shutdown work is completed; annual outage work
- Proven safety record (individual performance and leadership)
- Substantial knowledge of and experience maintaining rotating equipment including pumps & gearboxes, welding & cutting metals, heavy rigging, pipefitting, and repair/troubleshooting of hydraulic systems required.
- Strong problem solving / decision making skills and experience on production equipment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5+ experience
- Non-degreed candidates with significant experience in a related function will also be considered
- Pulp/paper mill experience is preferred
- Strong technical background. Ability to manage and lead multiple projects.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and SAP PM Applications
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must have good interpersonal skills with the ability to interact at all levels
- Strong leadership skills
- Must be flexible and available with their schedule to meet Mill needs as they arise
Competencies: Detail oriented, Mechanical Aptitude, Managerial Courage, Drive for Results, Managing through Systems, Motivating Others, Managing & Measuring Work, Priority Setting, Peer Relationships
Compensation & Benefits: International Paper offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health care insurance, life insurance, 401k with company match, company-funded retirement savings account and company-paid disability coverage.
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.