- Promote an atmosphere of safety excellence through leading by example and intervening when necessary to correct behaviors.
- Interfacing directly with state regulatory agencies and community members to represent the mill within the community and region.
- Participates in environmental compliance audits and assists the sites in closing the open action items.
- Prepare, review and update various environmental reports.
- Interacting with and providing regulatory guidance to mill operations, maintenance, and management personnel on a day-to-day basis.
- Participating as a member of EHS department; maintaining strong relationships with other business unit personnel as well as operating and maintenance department leaders.
- Coordinating and communicating with operating departments regarding regulatory concerns/support, including periodic training for salaried and hourly teams on environmental compliance as needed.
- Working with mill engineering and operations to evaluate capital projects for potential permitting needs.
- Responsible for serving on a weekend duty rotation.
- Providing environmental outage coordination, both for routine and annual outages.
- Coordinating annual regulatory air compliance stack testing activities.
- Filling in for Environmental Manager when needed.
- Acting as contract coordinator for contractors providing services within EHS department.
- Providing visible and active leadership in delivering excellent safety results.
- Completing safety audits to ensure internal and external resources are complying with safe work practices.
- Reporting and communicating safety and performance measurements against objectives.
- Leading and delivering results through Global Manufacturing System (GMS) based systems; assuring compliance with GMS expectations.
- Participating and leading in the development of Environmental Management System procedures for water, waste, and air management.
- Actively using and improving upon existing systems for managing daily activities, including development of standard operating procedures (SOP).
- Initiating and facilitating problem solving through trouble-cause-correction processes (TCC).
- Understanding and promoting Manufacturing Excellence (ME) tools and processes; participating and leading ME improvement initiatives in the department.
- Facilitating the implementation of new procedures and controls required by the change in facilities, products, and corporate policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, environmental sciences or equivalent work experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Environmental area experience or knowledge is preferred. Knowledge and experience with practical application of environmental regulations desired.
- Plant Applications and PI ProcessBook experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications, SAP business systems, and other databases.
- Experience in the pulp and paper industry is preferred.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Proven commitment to safety and safety processes.
- High level of initiative and motivation.
- Strong communication skills (oral & written).
- Able to excel with minimum supervision and work independently.
- Desire and ability to work as a team player.
- Desire to aggressively learn and continue to develop knowledge and skills
Action Oriented, Timely Decision Making, Decision Quality, Organizing, Perseverance, Priority Setting, Problem Solving, Drive For Results, Time Management, Customer Focus, Integrity & Trust, Interpersonal Savvy, Listening, Peer Relationships, Dealing with Ambiguity, Functional/Technical Skills, Learning on the Fly, Self-Development, Technical Learning
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.