The Flint River team members are actively engaged in their personal safety as well as the safety of their co-workers, and help to drive the safety culture at the mill. The Health and Safety Manager provides leadership, coordination and technical expertise in the area of health and safety at the Flint River Mill. This position will have accountability for establishing reliable and sustainable methods for improving safety performance; nourishing a culture in which safety is an overriding value in all activities and in which every team member assumes accountability for safety; and assuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, programs, and tools to ensure compliance with Government regulations and IP policies in a way that leads to a safe and injury-free work environment.
- Coordinate health and safety audit programs including corrective action plan tracking – both internal and external.
- Develop and implement effective safety training programs including support for monthly crew safety meeting content and new hire training.
- Provide leadership and coordinate efforts to drive continual improvement of health and safety program effectiveness.
- Recommend changes to reduce safety hazards and health risks
- Provide functional expertise and strategic direction to achieve our vision of an accident free workplace while positively impacting profitability and operational excellence.
- Provide tools, information and guidance to the department hourly Safety Coordinators so that their efforts are cohesive, uniform and coordinated, including annual safety training
- Facilitate sharing of Safety Best Practices between mill departments and the enterprise.
- Oversight of the Safety Incident Analysis process including quality assurance, corrective action tracking and effectiveness audits.
- Foster the mill culture change toward a vision of an accident-free workplace by:
- Demonstrating behaviors that reflect the core principles of safety and a personal commitment to safety excellence
- Establishing a high standard of behavior for all employees and managers that is reinforced through feedback and coaching
- Modeling and coaching effective leadership behaviors with formal and informal leaders
- Systematically communicating activities and recognizing accomplishments
- Engaging all mill employees in the safety process and empowering them to take personal ownership for safety results
- Bridging the gap between levels in the organization through open data sharing and facilitating thoughtful dialog.
- Generating mill-wide excitement and demonstrating a positive attitude toward the ultimate goal
- Supporting established teams to more effectively accomplish their mission (department safety leads and representatives, Mill Safety Committee, ad-hoc teams, etc)
- Oversight of the industrial hygiene and ergonomics programs
- Maintain required information (IPS, OSHA 300 log, lagging and leading indicators, etc) and analyze data to provide information to management to identify problem areas and safety trends and develop action plans to address findings.
- Develop an annual safety calendar (training schedule, milestones, significant activities, etc).
- Contractor safety program management
- Site Security Oversight including staffing, gate control and physical plant
- A bachelor’s degree in occupational health and safety or technical discipline with significant related experience and exposure to OSHA general industry requirements. CSP and/or CIH certifications preferred.
- 7+ years of experience in a manufacturing/industrial environment. Experience in paper manufacturing is a plus.
- A demonstrated strong propensity to lead based on successful formal leadership experience, preferably in a manufacturing/industrial environment.
- Expertise in PSM/Process Safety Management a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a developed competency to influence others.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead cross-functional teams including knowledge of basic facilitation techniques.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written). Must be an effective listener.
- Clear ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and deadlines.
- An ability to manage change and conflict.
- Established skill to execute work based on standards, procedures and systems.
- Experience with six-sigma (or other process improvement methodologies) and change management processes a plus.
Managerial Courage, Interpersonal Savvy, Approachability, Motivating Others, Priority Setting, Action Oriented Time Management, Conflict Management, Functional/Technical Skills and Knowledge, Managing Through Systems, Organizing
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.