The Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability Position will report to the Mill Manager and serve as a working lead team member in our lean manufacturing environment. This position will support IP’s performance goals by managing day-to-day EHS&S responsibilities for all mill operations. This position will guarantee the appropriate internal EHS&S resources are identified and readily accessible to accomplish mill and business specific requirements and initiatives. At the mill, this position will be the primary resource on EHS&S issues. This position will serve as a key contributing member to the mill’s core team.
The key accountabilities listed below are not to be considered all-inclusive; a team member may be required to perform additional tasks, as directed, and based on changing business needs of the company.
- Pursues an incident free workplace; regardless of where we operate.
- Emphasizes 100 percent compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Raises performance standards by advancing the ideals of sustainability.
- Develops functional reports with appropriate competencies and skill sets needed for future leaders within IP.
- Provides oversight, compliance and guidance to the Safety, Health and Workers’ Compensation in order to achieve safety targets for LIFE; TIR/LWIR and reduce Workers’ Compensation costs and claim volume.
- Implements programs, initiatives and measures to advance environmental, health, safety and sustainability key metrics.
- Leads environmental management team including elimination of significant environmental events and the implementation of a comprehensive environmental management system.
- Focuses on environmental footprint reduction opportunities to support IP’s 2020 Sustainability Goals and education of sustainability.
- Achieves gains and reduce costs and liabilities for environmental and safety incidents.
- Responsible for day-to-day activities related to mill’s effluent discharge, solid waste contracts, permitting processes and chemical management programs with access to process engineer support for large project work.
- Assure workers compensation claims are managed so that quality of care is provided, return to work is expedited, and costs are controlled.
- Oversees mill security processes.
- Works directly with mill management on performance management and development opportunities of team members.
- Mentors, coaches and develops Health and Safety Team Leader.
- Works to directly influence various levels of local and state officials.
- Fullfills area specific 5S expectations(5 Minute 5S Checklists, replenishment of tools and supplies, 5S Audits,etc.)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- Individual must be able to wear all required safety equipment.
- Physically challenging mill environment; ability to walk, continuously stand, climb stairs minimum 50% of the time.
- Working environment is 24/7 – ability to be on-call as needed and/or required.
- Minimum of 8-12 years experience in a broad range of manufacturing environments, forest products industry preferred.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills; problem solving, negotiation, presentation and training delivery skills.
- This individual will need to be able to learn and adjust quickly, be action oriented, be adept at building effective teams and be able to set priorities based on the businesses needs, working closely with appropriate EHS&S/Business leads.
- Bachelors degree in science, engineering, or occupational health and safety or related degree.
- Professional certification or equivalent (CSP, CIH), with advanced degree preferable.
- Expert knowledge of OSHA/EPA regulations.
- Preferred experience in High Performance Work System environment
- The ideal candidate will have an engineering background and will be the main focal point to address environmental issues.
- Must possess collaborative skills, organizational agility, innovation management skills and be able to resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Experience in the forest products industry or an industry with a similar risk profile and bring to this position a type of creativity and “can do” attitude that will make the overall organization successful.
- Practical understanding of governance and regulation including both law and politics, and the ability to work with the lead hourly team members and exempt and non-exempt staff in effective teams.