What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference?
It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
Provide support and guidance to in-house attorneys in the area of commercial business transactions. Position is responsible for drafting/preparing and reviewing documents, including commercial agreements and investigating, participating in development of matter strategy, coordinating and providing updates on active claims and litigation, and responding to other various legal matters. Position acts as a primary liaison between legal and internal business clients, external vendors including law firms and other legal support vendors.
• Participate in the development of matter strategy and has sole
responsibility for managing substantive areas that do not require legal
• Draft and review legal documents, including contracts and other
• Prioritize matter assignments with little or no direction from supervising
• Prepare training materials
• Independent judgment and decision making in areas that do not require
• Coordinate commercial agreements/strategy with business clients and
• Act as primary legal contact for business clients on commercial matters
- The external environment, including technology, competition, markets:
- Changes in law and commercial pressures
- Changes in technology supporting the process of obtaining, reviewing and processing commercial documents
- Growing need to monitor costs
- The internal environment, including interaction with others, (both inside and outside the company) policies/practices:
- Working with different levels of employees within the organization and externally with outside vendors and courts/agencies
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Dealing with confidential information
- The work itself, e.g., problems, opportunities, change:
- Learning the company hierarchy
- Adapting to new technology tools
- Prioritizing workload and projects
- Little or no direction or supervision in areas that do not require legal advice
This position provides support to attorneys on files by drafting/preparing and reviewing commercial contracts and other documents and acting as a liaison between the Legal Department and internal business clients. This position would also make cost-effective decisions dealing with outside vendors to control spend; make recommendations on when work can be done in-house or sent to outside counsel; coordinate and provide updates on active claims and litigation. This position may also have the opportunity to take a leadership role on departmental projects and must have the ability to manage multiple projects at one time. Finally, the successful candidate will also participate in strategy discussions.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree in Paralegal Studies or other
- 10+ years legal experience in a paralegal position
- Expert in specialized area preferred
- Key Competencies:
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Learning on the Fly
- Customer Focus
- Functional and Technical skills
- Problem Solving/Action Oriented
- Decision Making
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.