International Paper (NYSE: IP) is a global leader in packaging and paper with manufacturing operations in North America, Europe, Latin America, Russia, Asia and North Africa. Its businesses include industrial and consumer packaging and uncoated papers. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., the company employs approximately 52,000 people and is strategically located in more than 24 countries serving customers worldwide.
International Paper’s vision is to be one of the best and most respected companies in the world. A company of substance in everything we do, from the products we make, to investing in communities, to protecting our environment, International Paper supports communities where our employees live and work.
We currently have an opening for a Mechanical Packaging Specialist within the North American Container (NAC) business. This position is responsible for the resolution of significant technical scientific or engineering issues that affect the sales installation and utilization of organization products and/or services. Primarily handles large-sized accounts or selected customers with a complex product mix. Coordinates appropriate course of action with senior technical leaders. This position will be located in the field with access to a major airport and will report to the Industrial Mechanical Packaging Manager.
The MPS Specialist will provide onsite services to IP customers including:
- Support NAC Sales Personnel in resolving machinery/material issues at customer facilities.
- Survey, evaluate, and troubleshoot equipment problems and issues as they relate to the customer’s ability to run International Paper products efficiently. Equipment will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Case Erectors
- Tray Formers
- Case Packing Systems
- Box Sealing Systems
- Partition Inserters
- Conveyor Systems
- Palletizing Systems
- Printing/Marking/Labeling Systems
- Tape and Glue Systems
- Shrink Tunnel Systems
- Assist customers in the checkout of new equipment at the manufacturer’s facility.
- Participate in customer’s equipment startups with new equipment or package designs.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge base of available packaging machinery, including information on operating limitations, technical specifications, and approximate costs.
- Instruct customer personnel, i.e. Engineering, Maintenance, and Production on proper set up (Center-lining), adjustment, and operation of packaging equipment.
- Diffuse difficult situations due to corrugated and or machinery performance.
- Interact with customers on a multi-level basis from floor troubleshooting to upper management presentations.
- Assist sales through the preparation of recommendations and proposals for new packaging systems at customer facilities. Provide financial data and assistance in the preparation of Capital Appropriation Requests for equipment purchased by, and financed through International Paper Plants.
- Evaluate packaging equipment and systems for compliance with OSHA and other safety requirements.
- Provide technical support to sales, marketing, package designers, equipment suppliers, and customers in the development of proprietary IP designs and equipment to automate them.
- Participate in CVA Audits to evaluate and recommend MPS related issues that could reduce customer’s packaging cost and improve margin for IP.
- Keep informed of current developments in MPS technology through interaction with manufactures’ representatives and plant visits.
- Utilize the MPS Project Log System to track value to customers and IP by accurate record keeping and visit reports.
- Manage travel and operating expenses in a reasonable and prudent manner consistent with department budget guidelines and IP standard operating procedures.
Knowledge and Experience:
- BS degree and/or equivalent work/business experience is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of industry mechanical maintenance experience is required
- Specific mechanical packaging experience up to and including building, re-building, and hands on solutions to issues. is highly desired
- Thorough knowledge of NAC’s products, services and manufacturing process and capabilities is desired
- A strong understanding of the key quality attributes of corrugated and their effect on mechanical forming and ultimate shipping performance.
- Experience working with a team as well as independently while managing multiple high priority assignments effectively
- Must be competent in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Must be willing to travel as needed throughout North America.
Key Competencies and Skills:
- Business Acumen
- Customer Focus
- Action Oriented
- Problem Solving
- Priority Setting
- Project Management
- Cost Management
- Decision Making
- Communication Skills
- Presentation Skills
International Paper offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, disability, life and accident insurance, vacation as well as a 401(k) plan and retirement savings account. Qualified candidates should express interest by applying online at http://www.internationalpaper.com.
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans