This position manages all Purchasing and Storeroom functions and activities for the Grande Prairie mill in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada. The Manager of Purchasing and Stores must manage sourcing and stores functions at the mill in conjunction with mill operational and maintenance requirements and Global Sourcing purchasing, policies, and procedures. The position will report to the Mill Manager with functional responsibilities to the West Region Procurement Operations Manager. The position is responsible for managing 8-9 Purchasing and Storeroom employees (3 direct reports & 5-6 indirect reports). It will also have responsibility for managing and training a Summer Interns when assigned to the mill. Position level will vary depending upon experience and education of the successful candidate.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible to provide safety leadership through modeling of safe behaviors and to ensure employee adherence to all mill safety requirements and expectations.
- Execution of mill sourcing functions to meet the needs and requirements of mill operations and maintenance
- Partnerning with Capital Manufacturing team in the execution of capital projects.
- Deliver value to the mill through effective procurement activities at the local level as well as ensuring implementation and adherence of Global Sourcing agreements.
- Lead and execute Global Sourcing strategies for purchasing and storeroom processes at the mill level.
- Ensure that Purchasing and Storeroom activities are in compliance with Corporate and Global Sourcing policies and procedures and any corporate audit agreements.
- Partner with the Storeroom team and Maintenance to identify joint objectives and assist with initiatives to optimize inventory levels to reduce mill working capital while maintaining service and mill reliability.
- Track and report supplier performance and/or warranty issues and escalate as appropriate.
- Serve on regional cross-functional teams to improve procurement and supply management processes, inventories, and total cost of ownership.
- Recommend new suppliers based on quality, service, and competitive pricing.
- Facilitate risk management processes -- contractor insurance, safety documents and pre-qualifications are in place and meet IP and mill requirements.
- Measure and track process improvements as outlined by Global Sourcing and mill KPI’s.
Working Conditions/Personal Demands
- Develop, foster, and maintain team and mill relationships.
- Management, training and development of Purchasing and Stores personnel including execution of the Roadmap process (Success Factors).
- Support and exemplify the vision, principles, and behaviors of International Paper, Global Sourcing, West Region Procurement Operations, and the Mill.
Position Qualifications (Competencies required for the position)
- Must be able to wear all required personal safety equipment including but not limited to eye protection, hearing protection, safety shoes, head protection, etc.
- Must be available for after-hours and on-call Monday-Sunday duty
- Must be able to quickly prioritize and execute multiple tasks that all have a sense of urgency
- Must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
Skills and Knowledge required for the position:
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Building Effective Teams
- Conflict Management
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Problem Solving
- Managerial Courage
- Managing through Systems
Education and Work Experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite – Excel, Word, Power Point, Access, Outlook
- Demonstrated expertise in SAP procurement required
- Working knowledge of Business Warehouse, Ariba, Unifier, ISNet, Ebix
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven skills in bidding, negotiating, and administering contracts and agreements
- Significant expertise in procurement, commercial and storeroom practices
- SAP Material Management and inventory management control systems knowledge is preferred
- Working knowledge and understanding of accounting and internal controls
- Knowledge of maintenance/operations planning processes
- Supervisory/Leadership experience is preferred
- A BS/BA degree in Management, Supply Chain, Finance, or Engineering OR equivalent work experience
- 7+ in Purchasing, Procurement and/or Storeroom is preferred.
- At least five-years of experience working in an industrial manufacturing operation. Paper Mill experience is strongly preferred.