nternational Paper’s Springfield, OR paper mill has an opening for an Operations First Line Leader (FLL). The First Line Leader is responsible for the safety, leadership and management of all Operations and Maintenance shift employees in the mill during their rotation. The First Line Leader will oversee one of two areas in the mill – either Finished Products or Fiber/Recovery. This position works a rotating shift and will report directly to either the Finished Products or Fiber/Recovery Business Unit Manager.
- The Operations First Line Leader leads their crew and manages the operation to achieve operating plan objectives, while keeping safety as their #1 priority.
- Collaborate with the other on shift FLL to meet the overall shift safety and operating plans.
- Be a safety leader of your crew, ensure safety is a core value of the crew, and put safety ahead of production every time.
- Daily observations of crew members and contractors for safe work practices
- Provide on shift environmental stewardship of the mill and community
- Support crews with operating issues by providing leadership and guidance
- Lead by example and ensure acceptable work practices are being followed
- Enforce company policies and procedures, while maintaining a supportive work environment
- Run the production model and balance recovery chemical volumes, pulp volumes, and paper volumes at optimum levels
- Perform performance reviews with each crew member.
- Approve employee time in Workbrain, time keeping system
- Assist with staffing needs on shift
- Participate in incident investigations as required
- Provide coaching when needed to improve employee performance
- New employee onboarding and performance evaluations
- Minimum 5 years related experience in a manufacturing facility; Engineering degree preferred
- Pulp & Paper experience considered a plus
- Strong commitment to safety in all aspects of business operations
- Strong interpersonal leadership skills and ability to motivate others
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Willingness to work rotating shift to include weekends and holidays as per schedule
- Action Oriented
- Managing Through Systems
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Conflict Management
- Priority Setting
- Problem Solving