This position is located at the Columbus, MS Global Cellulose Fibers mill. As one of the largest softwood pulp producers in the world, this location produces bleached softwood pulp for use in paper and specialty products such as absorbent personal care products, pharmaceuticals and photographic-based papers. The successful candidate will guide the project development efforts to ensure that projects improve the mill’s reliability and cost position. The position reports to the mill Engineering Manager.
- Understand the project delivery process and help define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals, mill safety, reliability and improvement efforts.
- Expected to manage between projects ranging from $10,000 to $5,000,000 each.
- Develop capital investment proposals and manage all detailed design and construction of approved capital projects with the objective of meeting technical, cost, reliability, and safety goals.
- Responsible for all aspects of project management: scope development, estimating, planning, design, prioritization, scheduling, implementation/construction management, and budget management.
- Apply technical know-how and analysis to understand complex designs, interact with the technology group to identify the minimum effective design solution for various operating problems and for installation of new / modified equipment.
- Manage projects that require coordination between all parties involved including outside consultants, contractors and mill personnel.
- Responsible for ensuring projects are compliant with all environmental and safety requirements.
- Coordinate construction and startup activities with project teams, maintenance and operations.
- Perform safety observations, safety and quality checks for suppliers and contractors. Oversee their work and be responsible for their safety on site.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum of ten (10) + years experience in capital project engineering or detailed design.
- Some experience in the pulp and paper Industry is preferred.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Strong technical foundation in mechanical or electrical engineering.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with AutoCAD and all Microsoft Office applications.
- High level of initiative and motivation.
- Able to excel with minimum supervision and work independently.
- Desire and ability to work as a team player.
- Ability to walk across the mill, climb stairs/ladders and work in a hot, humid and noisy environment.
- Ability to work in a confined space or at heights.
- Drive for results
- Building Effective Teams
- Conflict Management
- Problem Solving
- Interpersonal skills
- Technical & functional skills
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals