The Business Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager will work with the business leadership teams, the mill lead teams and EHS staff to drive the implementation of effective EHS management systems, assure identification and resolution of critical risk items, and monitor and support progress against enterprise initiatives to improve environmental health and safety performance. The NAP business EHS manager position will report directly to the manufacturing vice president, and functionally to the vice president, EHS. The business EHS manager will also sit on the Global EHS Lead Team and People Council and have functional reporting responsibility for the Mill EHS Managers and staff. The incumbent will have responsibility for ensuring the perspective of the businesses is incorporated into the development of enterprise EHS goals and initiatives, including EHS talent management.
Personal Characteristics and Key Expectations:
This individual will need to possess and demonstrate: strong leadership skills, adaptability, a bias for action, and strong collaboration and team building skills. The ability to set priorities based on the businesses needs and corporate objectives while working closely with business and EHS leadership will be critical.
In addition to the highest ethical standards, this person must also embody IP’s commitment in four key areas:
- An accident free workplace.
- Compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Continuous improvement for a sustainable future.
- Talent development of EHS personnel.
Competencies and Experience:
To achieve this performance, the manager will need strong leadership, technical and communications competencies with significant experience working across multiple facilities. Specific knowledge, skills, and experiences include:
- B.S. in engineering or science and functional expertise in one or more EHS disciplines. Formal and/or experiential knowledge of business and management fundamentals is required.
- >10 years’ experience in highly regulated manufacturing environment, preferred
- Demonstrated record of success managing multiple projects and initiatives. Bias for action is critical.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in crisis event management.
- Outstanding communications and leadership skills are required. The ability to work successfully at all levels of the enterprise, from shop floor through senior management. Must possess confidence, poise and be functionally very competent.
- Commitment to leading diverse and inclusive teams is essential. Must be able to think strategically and to execute and deliver results. A commitment to personal learning and self-development will be important.
- Experience leading people and large project teams required.
- Knowledge of U.S. EH&S regulations required.
- Experience applying ME methodologies to EHS processes and improvement initiatives desired.
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.