Keys to success: CRSP is preferred, ideal candidate will have a stable perm job history from either the pulp and paper industry or a heavy industrial manufacturing background. A steel mill or foundry is an example of a risk profile similar to IPaper. Extensive experience with gap analysis, audit, training and revamping policy and programs for machine guarding, confined space, LOTO, fall protection, etc are critical. Leadership experience with behavioral based safety is needed. Relocation is offered and referrals are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
Grande Prairie team members are actively engaged in their personal safety as well as the safety of their co-workers, and help to drive the safety culture at the mill. The Health and Safety Manager provides leadership, coordination and technical expertise in the area of health and safety at the Grande Prairie Mill. This position will have accountability for establishing reliable and sustainable methods for improving safety performance; nourishing a culture in which safety is an overriding value in all activities and in which every team member assumes accountability for safety; and assuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
Key Accountabilities: The Health & Safety Manager is responsible for:
- Health & Safety Program Leadership
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, programs, and tools to ensure compliance with Government regulations and IP policies in a way that leads to a safe and injury-free work environment.
- Coordinate health and safety audit programs including corrective action plan.
- Develop and implement effective safety training programs.
- Provide leadership and coordinate efforts to drive continual improvement of health and safety program effectiveness.
- Recommend changes to reduce safety hazards and health risks.
- Provide functional expertise and strategic direction to achieve our vision of an accident free workplace while positively impacting profitability and operational excellence.
- Facilitate sharing of Safety Best Practices between mill departments and the enterprise.
- Oversight of the Safety Incident Analysis process including quality assurance, corrective action tracking and effectiveness audits.
- Foster the mill culture change toward a vision of an injury-free workplace by:
- Demonstrating behaviors that reflect the core principles of safety and a personal commitment to safety excellence.
- Establishing a high standard of behavior for all employees and managers that is reinforced through feedback and coaching.
- Modeling and coaching effective leadership behaviors with formal and informal leaders.
- Systematically communicating activities and recognizing accomplishments.
- Engaging all mill employees in the safety process and empowering them to take personal ownership for safety results.
- Bridging the gap between levels in the organization through open data sharing and facilitating thoughtful dialog.
- Supporting established teams to more effectively accomplish their mission (department safety committees, Mill Safety Leadership Team, ad-hoc teams, etc.)
- Oversight of the industrial hygiene and ergonomics programs.
- Manage safety initiative process and tracking systems, including LIFE, leading indicators, hazard identification and mitigation, critical health and safety gap assessment and actions plans
- Develop an annual safety calendar (training schedule, milestones, significant activities, etc).
- Workers Compensation Program Administration including case management, benefit coordination, recordkeeping and the return-to-work process.
- Contractor safety program management.
- Health Services Department Operation.
- Emergency Response Team Coordination including staffing and training requirements.
- FM Global Coordination including inspection and maintenance of mill fire protection equipment.
- Site Security Oversight including staffing, gate control and physical plant.
- Provide leadership and management support to the Safety Supervisors and Mill Nurses.
- A bachelor’s degree in occupational health and safety or technical certification with significant related experience and exposure to general industry requirements. CRSP designation is preferred.
- 5+ yrs experience in a manufacturing or industrial environment. Experience in pulp and paper manufacturing is a plus.
- A demonstrated strong propensity to lead based on successful formal leadership experience.
- Expertise in PSM/Process Safety Management is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a developed competency to influence others.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead cross-functional teams including knowledge of basic facilitation techniques.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written.) Must be an effective listener.
- Clear ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and deadlines.
- An ability to manage change and conflict.
- Established skill to execute work based on standards, procedures and systems.
- Experience with six-sigma (or other process improvement methodologies) and change management processes is a asset.
Compensation & Benefits: International Paper offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health care insurance, life insurance, company-funded retirement savings account and company-paid disability coverage.
- Technical/Functional Skills
International Paper is an equal opportunity employer Our core values: Commitment, Ownership, Respect, Excellence.
Grande Prairie AB T8V 3A9