What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
The EHS Manager reporting directly to the Complex General manager works to plan, direct, and implement environmental health and safety programs to ensure a positive, safe, healthy, and accident-free work environment and is responsible for the compliance with all environmental and safety regulatory agencies.
- Works in partnership with senior and site management to develop and implement strategies, policies, and services to increase employee safety & reduce organization risks.
- Develops, implements and maintains effective systems, procedures and training to achieve and maintain an accident free, injury free, and healthy work environment; plans and implements procedures, programs, and files regulatory reports in compliance with the local, state, and federal agencies.
- Assists with the record keeping, and manuals for these programs (including but not limited to): OSHA, DOT, etc.
- Assists with annual department goals according to key metrics (ex- lost time accidents) that are measured throughout the organization.
- Plans, implements, and oversees the company safety and maintenance program; coordinates with plants’ safety committees.
- Supervises and manages hourly employees, assigning, and directing work; evaluating employee performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; promoting safety, teamwork; resolving conflicts.
- Provides leadership in developing, implementing and managing EH&S policies, programs and practices.
- Plans and implements programs to train supervisors and employees to meet standards and also to enhance the company safety culture.
- Assists with new employee safety orientation program and employee safety training.
- Assists with employee safety and driving records and training; special environmental projects and worker's compensation program.
- Coordinates with the Logistics Division Manager and EHS Director on transportation issues.
- Inspects organization facilities (safety audits) to detect existing or potential incident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Assists with the investigation of all incidents and injuries from initial report to closure.
- Works with complex lead team to develop site-specific annual objectives for safety, environmental, industrial hygiene and worker's compensation improvements that support these goals, policies and statements.
- Manages regulatory agency, third party audits, inspections, inquiries, contacts and reporting, ensure/oversees California VPP (Voluntary Protection Program) annual compliance audits.
- BS in Occupational Health and Safety or related field (required)
- 5+ years of experience in manufacturing environment with responsibility for Environmental, Health and Safety
- Proficient PC skills including Microsoft Office
- Ability to be on call or work off hours as needed
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with attention to detail and organizational abilities
- Superior analytical/ problem solving, written and verbal communications
- Experience working with local regulatory agencies preferred
- Communication and influencing skills
- Ability to indirectly manage
- Interpret technical problems, regulations, environmental reporting
- Drive for results
- Managing through systems
- Problem solving
- Motivating others
- Action oriented
- Safety, environmental and health technical competencies