PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Promote the health and safety of all employees. Provide medical assistance to injured and/or ill employees. Assist the Health and Safety Department administer the company’s safety and health programs.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Provide direct medical assistance to employees
Work w/Paramedics to maintain Occupational Health Department –dispense over the counter medication and safety items.
Maintain medical records of all employees.
Administer Worker’s Compensation Duties
Coordinate Care with Attending Physician (s), W/C Adjusters and Case Managers
Enhance wellness of all employees while reducing on-job illness and injuries
Manage Health related Safety Programs
- Assesses the health needs of workers
- Assesses, develop treatment plans, and treats employees within appropriate standards and laws
- Provide biometric screening opportunities for all employees
- Counsels employees on reduction of risk associated with health and safety hazards
- Uses and maintains accurate and complete records system, while maintaining confidentiality
- Organize screening events to promote employee health and wellness
- Collaborate with Occ-Med Physician, Corporate resources, Care Providers and Worker’s Compensation to manage costs while restoring employees to optimal functional capacity
- Process medical billing for payment
- Order Employee Safety items and process for payment
- Monitor the quality and effectiveness of vendor services
- Use and evaluate available heath care resources to achieve optimal outcome
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL LEVEL REQUIRED:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to interface with Employees, Department Managers, Paramedics, Occ-Med Physician and Medical Community.
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing (RN) and licensed to practice as a registered nurse in State of Texas.
- Minimum of five years of experience as a nurse including ER, Trauma, Critical Care, etc…
- Prefer Certified Occupational Health Nurse (COHN/COHN-S) otherwise train and certify after meeting experience requirement
- Maintain certification in Hearing Conservation (COHC – Certified Occupational Hearing Conservationist).
- Maintain certification in Case Management (CM)
- Maintain certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
- Maintain American Heart Association instructor certification in CPR/First Aid/AED training.
- Knowledge and understanding of OSHA regulations and responsibilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage all systems of the Occupational Health Program.
- Assist Paramedics with medical emergencies occurring at this facility. Provide emergency care for contract workers if need arises.
- Support Emergency Response Team with training and skill development and post incident debriefings; ad hoc member of the ERT
- Administer first aid and/or medical assistance as needed.
- Assess all worker’s compensation injuries occurring while on duty and review if occurring while off duty.
- Attend off site appointments for work related injuries and coordinate all injury follow-up.
- Provide medical services as appropriate for Mill Team Employees (IP, B&R, TLS).
- Advise injured personnel concerning additional medical treatment.
- Maintain adequate inventory of appropriate safety and medical supplies.
- Coordinate with Health and Safety Dept. in scheduling the company CPR, First-Aid, and Safety and Health programs. Provide instruction for classes regarding Bloodborne Pathogens, AED, Heat Stress, Respiratory Protection and coordination of Hearing Conservation Program.
- Assist in preparation of accident analysis reports and provide recommendations for actions to correct injurious methods of activity.
- Serve as case manager of all injured employees until such time that the insurance administrator makes assignment of field nurse case manager.
- Handle all correspondence regarding worker’s compensation claim numbers, billing and medical appointments with routing to appropriate representative.
- Coordinate necessary physicals, including eye exams and prepare laminated cards as appropriate for employees.
- Provide health services to our employees such as lifestyle coaching, health and wellness education and behavior health assistance/referral.
- Maintain over-the-counter medication dispensing machine with widely used medications.
- Process all administrative requirements for prescriptive safety eyewear program.
- Coordinate and schedule approved medical waste disposal program and process for payment.
- Assist in conducting company safety and health orientations, operation inspections with recommendations on potential hazards to health and safety.
- Assist, as requested, in the administration of the company’s Accident and Sickness Programs.
- Prepare health and safety materials for bulletin boards, new letters and health fairs, as requested.
- Coordinate mill-wide blood drives.
- Coordinate administration of Hepatitis B, Flu and Tetanus vaccinations and maintain applicable records.
- Coordinate safety shoe vendors, shoe mobile schedules, and post dates of visits.
- Administer random, return-to-work, post-accident, suspicion/cause, job transfer and pre-employment/post job offering drug screens, as needed.
- Document treatments, maintain call log, medical records, complete all filing, ordering of supplies, approve and process all billing to appropriate party for payment.
- Coordinate Return to Work and Pre-Employment Health programs with HR.
- Attend Educational conferences to stay current with trends, technologies, and treatments.
- Coordinate annual health fair for all employees.