We have two needs, one is DCS & PLC control focused on paper machine rebuilds and this description relates to electric Drives & Turbine controls in the same integrated mills~
Technical Capital Group SME Project Manager
What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
Technical Capital Group SME – Project Manager (Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls)
This position will report to the Manager, Technical Capital Group
Technical Capital Group Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) use expertise and leadership gained through years of experience to deliver improvements within their area of expertise to the manufacturing system. The duties vary widely between practicing safety leadership, capital and deliberate improvement projects, equipment and process studies, and equipment audits. An additional key component of a SME’s job is to transfer knowledge and skills to Mill personnel to build future on-site capability while managing and completing their assigned Project Management tasks.
The SME position is a functioning but developing SME. Results are balanced against continued technical and leadership growth.
- Technical Capital Group Project Managers within the Reliability COE function as the SME’s in the Corporate Technology group for activities involving the full implementation of major Capital Projects for highly technical automation equipment and/or control systems (e.g. Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls Projects for IP Mill Paper Machines, Winders, and Power House Operations).
- Reliability COE Technical Capital Group Project Managers will support Projects implementing a broad range of automation technology and/or controls needs within IP’s operating facilities. This work is focused on improving the operational reliability of our Mills and improving IP’s manufacturing process performance through the planning and implementing of Capital Project activities and/or other automation needs as required.
- This work will involve regular interaction with Mill employees, Corporate Business Groups in Memphis, Capital Project execution teams, Regional Engineering Office (REO) Consultants, various discipline groups within IP Corporate Technology, Global Sourcing, and IP’s major automation suppliers.
The SME position is accountable for delivering results on a wide range of assignments, short and long-term, across our global mill system. The SME must work well with varied teams and be able to quickly engage employees from all levels of the organization, from executive to the shop floor, and influence consultants, vendors and contractors. The SME is known and respected within facilities. The individual is able to function independently for general projects and issues within the skill area, begin able to:
- Manage the effective use of the IP’s Capital spending as the leader of designated Enterprise Capital projects that have significant Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls spending.
- Manage effective Project schedules that allow for Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls Projects to be adequately and thoroughly developed and implemented on-time via IP’s Capital Investment processes.
- Maintain good working relationships with the Mill resources involved in the Projects such that they are fully informed of all technical aspects and are fully prepared to assume control and maintenance of the equipment installed immediately following Project curtailment.
- Support the long term reliability and maintainability of the Company’s Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls assets through input into the Capital planning processes of the Mills and the Enterprise Business Groups.
- Drive the improvement of IP’s operating reliability through the application of appropriate and innovative Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls technologies, with an eye for continuous improvement.
- Support the company’s Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls strategy, as part of a Project Management role, through regular interaction with designated Mills’ Maintenance & E/I staffs and with external resources that are recognized as providers of Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls technology leadership.
The SME position functions as an internal consultant, and is expected to develop projects and produce improvements in the area of expertise anywhere in the company. The duties range widely between safety leadership, optimization, instruction, capital and deliberate improvement projects, process audits, strategic studies, and mentoring Mill-level resources.
The SME is a self-directed individual and, as such, needs a wide array of leadership, functional / technical and organizational skills. Key examples include:
Leadership / Managerial Competencies
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Learning on the Fly & Problem Solving
Functional / Technical Competencies
- Presentation & Communication Skills
- Process – Expert in the individual’s specific area of expertise or combination of areas of expertise.
- Engineering – Experienced in fundamentals of engineering needed for process or equipment design and knowledgeable of the capital process to at least a moderate level.
- Operations - Familiar in the development of operating procedures and policy.
The SME may face a number of internal and external challenges within this position. Key examples include:
- Providing guidance to the company’s Capital planning process on the most appropriate replacements and upgrades to IP’s major Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls systems
- Addressing the need for improvements in IP’s major Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls systems as a Project Manager employing Enterprise Capital funding to execute the necessary upgrades
- Managing work that typically includes 60-80% travel
- Providing guidance that addresses the changing architecture of Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls that couple with other automation assets
- Dealing with the conflicting priorities of Mill resources, Capital availability and scheduling associated with Capital Project planning
Technical Project Management Expertise:
- The applicant will possess at least 10 years’ experience in operations and/or service within the area of expertise, with an emphasis on the Pulp & Paper Industry.
- The applicant will be capable of supporting both domestic and international travel requirements, and providing Project Management technical support on a business priority basis.
- Experience with the configuration of Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls systems and/or the management of teams responsible for such equipment
- Knowledge of multiple pulp and paper manufacturing processes
- Skilled in planning and executing major capital projects (>$5MM)
- Knowledge of Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls maintenance and engineering
- A degree in chemical, mechanical, or electrical engineering or related work experience
- Two (2) to ten (10) years’ experience with technical responsibilities in Pulp and Paper
- Previous background as a Consultant with major Project Management experience would be of great benefit
- Skilled in the use of MS Project, Primavera, or other Project Management scheduling software
- Familiarity with SAP or other Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems to manage Project funds and distribution planning
- Foreign language is not required, but skill in Russian, French, Portuguese or Polish would be useful
- Prior experience in the optimization of Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls across Paper Machine & Winder operations is valuable
- The work requires the use of data collection tools, manipulation of data, error identification and correction, and the use of High Speed Trending (HST), PI or similar applications for extraction of data from Electric Drives & Drive Controls and/or Turbines & Turbine Controls.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills.