What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
The Savannah Mill is currently seeking a qualified Capital Projects Mechanical Engineer. The Savannah Mill is located in Savannah, GA which is approximately 1-hour south of Hilton Head, SC and 2 hours north of Jacksonville, FL. The mill has approximately 650 employees and is a union facility represented by five international unions.
Reporting to the Mill Capital Projects Engineering Manager, this position manages and supports the implementation of capital projects within the mill general areas while supporting the mill safety, reliability, and improvement efforts. The position requires strong project management and technical skills to coordinate different disciplines within Operations, Maintenance, consulting engineers, and vendors. Primarily, the prospective candidate should have the ability to manage several projects that span multiple engineering disciplines, with the primary focus on mechanical engineering, and will require working closely with Business Unit Managers, Process Engineers, Maintenance and Operations personnel as well as Maintenance and Operations Technicians.
- Understand the project delivery process and help define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals, mill safety, reliability and improvement efforts.
- Develop capital investment proposals and manage all detailed design and construction of approved capital projects with the objective of meeting technical, cost, reliability, and safety goals.
- Apply technical know-how and analysis to understand complex designs, interact with the technology group to identify the minimum effective design solution for various operating problems and for installation of new / modified equipment.
- Coordinate the design of conceptual layouts and cost studies as necessary to develop the capital investment proposal in the simplest and most efficient approach.
- Coordinate all type of process design activities including equipment sizing, design of PFD’s and P&ID’s, loop sheets, mechanical diagrams, process control and instrument specification and operating manuals.
- Ensure project design and implementation abides by mill safety policies.
- Coordinate and review vendor equipment, installation and other discipline drawings for operability and maintainability input.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Liaise with general mill operations, maintenance, upper management and other project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Manage projects that require coordination between all parties involved including outside consultants, contractors and mill personnel.
- Assist in checkout and start-up activities, conduct post completion audits of all of your capital projects.
- Initiate purchase requisitions for engineering, equipment, labor, materials, etc for assigned capital projects.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel and serve as a construction coordinator if necessary.
- Plan, schedule and Track project timelines, cost and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans.
- Schedule tracking of construction and project spending forecasts on a monthly basis or more frequently if necessary.
- Supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Requires a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Requires a minimum of 7 years of experience, prefer 10+, in a variety of technical or operational assignments including all aspects of process development and execution in a manufacturing environment. Must have experience in managing projects from inception all the way through start-up. This includes writing requests for funding, engineering, procurement, construction and start-up/check out.
- Experience in pulp and paper or manufacturing industry and exposure to construction services is essential.
- Knowledge of industrial mechanical equipment and flexibility to lead projects outside core area of competence.
- Knowledge of pumps, pumping systems, material selection, mechanical delivery systems, lubrication, construction methods, hydraulic systems, structural analysis, and understanding of equipment reliability methods.
- Familiarity with codes and standards and Non Destructive testing requirements.
- Proficient in MS Office and MS Projects.
- Familiar with Auto CAD and SAP or similar systems.
- Strong understanding of Project Delivery Process / Front End Loading.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management, experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Should conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments.
- Strong written & oral communication skills and strong interpersonal skills in order to effectively convey priorities and concepts to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
Priority Setting, Organizing, Planning, Managing and Measuring Work, Oral and Written Communication Skills, Creativity, Decision Quality, Project Management, Results Oriented, Managerial Courage, Negotiating, Building Effective Teams, Intellectual Horsepower, Functional/Technical Skills, Listening, and Customer Focus
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.